I experimented 3 times to get the right texture for me, with some height. So, my colleagues became my guinea pigs, of which they didn’t mind. Bakes with bananas are always greatly welcomed.
I have a colleague who was pregnant at that time, and she loved this so much. It’s been almost a year since she last ate a piece of this, and she still tells me she missed this.
|3rd attempt, rushing off to work, no time to brush away the top crumbs.|
I like to bake with pisang mas, or some call baby bananas or lady finger bananas or sucrier. They have a wonderful fragrance. Other bananas might need some adjustments to the recipe. I have only used one type of banana throughout all my attempts.
I also added a cocoa powder layering effect to please myself, visually, hehehe. Chocolate and banana, they are a great pair isn’t it? But the cocoa taste isn’t prominent.
Banana Chiffon Cake with Cocoa Layering
250gm peeled lady finger bananas (pisang mas/sucrier)
5 egg yolks
125g plain flour + 1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
5 egg whites (from eggs 55g each, shells on)
1/2 tsp vinegar
2 tsp Cocoa powder for dusting
1. Preheat oven at 180C/160(fan). Prepare a 22 or 25cm pan
2. Puree banana with milk. Mix with oil, vanilla extract and egg yolks until smooth.
3. Sift flour and mix into the banana mixture, stir until smooth.
4. Beat egg whites with vinegar until very foamy then gradually add in sugar and beat until stiff hooked peaks.
5. Put 1/4 of the egg whites into the banana mixture and fold. Repeat with another 1/4 of the egg white.
6. Pour banana batter into the egg whites and scrape the bowl clean. Fold everything until well combined.
7. Pour 1/3 of the batter into the tube pan. Level the batter and sift a thin layer of cocoa powder over it.
8. Gently spoon another 1/3 of the batter over the cocoa powder, level and sift cocoa powder over.
9. Gently spoon the remaining batter into the pan and level.
10. Bake for 50 minutes or until done. Turn the cake upside down, resting the tube on a glass to cool down totally.
11. Slice and serve.