I had a big nice Guangxi Taro left after Chinese New Year, and so I tried making this.
Yup, I made moon cakes in February. 🙂
Somehow, I prefer the non fried version, that yields a more powdery filling. This one has a texture similar to lotus paste, although not as heavy.
Taro Paste Mooncake Filling 芋头月饼馅
500 gm peeled taro (芋头, keladi)
180 gm sugar or more
250 ml water
3 pcs pandan leaf, shredded and tied to a knot
70ml oil or as needed
1. Peel and cut taro into cubes. Weigh 500gm.
2. Boil taro with pandan leaf and water until soft, covered all the time to prevent over evaporation. Add in sugar and turn off the heat.
3. Let the taro cool down, remove pandan leaves and blend until fine.
4. Pour onto a non stick pan, add oil and cook until it turns glossy and feels tacky.
5. Remove from heat and let it cool down.
6. After cooled, keep covered.
*If made days ahead, please keep in the fridge.